Accounting is responsible for RCPS' accounting services, preparation of the annual budget, grant financial management, and support to the schools with their financial management.
Accounting responsible for the maintenance of the financial records of the Roanoke City Public Schools, in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). To accomplish this, Accounting will:
- Maintain the division's use of Keystone Financial System.
- Coordinate and oversee the audit of the division's financial records, and produce all required reports, including the year-end annual financial report and the year-end comprehensive annual financial report.
- Produce monthly reports, both internal and external.
- Monitor appropriation units to ensure that division expenditures do not exceed appropriations.
- Identify and process fixed assets for inclusion into the fixed assets inventory.
- Collect the revenues of the division.
- Provide guidance to the School Board, Superintendent, school and central administrators regarding acceptable accounting practices.