Equity & Organizational Diversity
The Office of Equity and Organizational Diversity is an important part of the Department of Equity and Student Services.
We use equity at every level of the school system, including in making decisions. Our mission is to achieve educational equity. We believe:
Educational equity is the process of eliminating the predictability of students' outcomes based on race, gender, zip code, ability, socio-economic status, or languages spoken at home.
This means providing every student with what they need to be successful. Our students have diverse backgrounds and unique talents, so one size does not fit all. Our diversity makes us stronger.
RCPS' Equity Policy supports our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) work. The Equity Task Force includes a diverse group of teachers, parents, students, staff, community members, administrators, and Central Office leadership.
Our Goals and Responsibilities
- Normalize equity, diversity, and inclusion (DEI) in all aspects of the organization,
- Support schools and staff in their work to close opportunity gaps,
- Examine biases and expose inequities,
- Ensure equitable access and opportunities for all students, particularly marginalized students,
- Co-lead the RCPS Equity Task Force,
- Assist in the development of DEI policies and guidelines,
- Ensure equitable processes and procedures, including resource allocation and capital improvement projects,
- Collaborate with all departments and offices, and
- Provide ongoing, targeted professional learning for all staff members.