Last item for navigation

Food and Nutrition Department Mission:
Fuel students for success by providing high quality, nutritious meals to students.

Summer Meals Program
Roanoke City Public Schools offers free summer meals to children ages 18 years or younger. Meals will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis at school locations beginning June 13 through August 12. Click here to access times, dates, and locations.

Summer meals are provided at no charge and are the same for all children regardless of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), age, or disability, and there will be no discrimination in the course of the meal service.

In addition, Roanoke Parks and Recreation is participating in the USDA Summer Food Meal Service Program. Click here for dates and locations, which are different from the RCPS Summer Meals Program.

At-Risk Afterschool Meals Program
Roanoke City Public Schools  will be serving meals at no charge to children 18 and under through the At-Risk Afterschool Meals Program. The same meals will be available at no separate charge to all participants at each site. Click here for a list of times and locations. 

MySchoolBucks is no longer being used as an online payment system for meals. School Cafe is now being used to pay for a la carte items. Click here to visit School Cafe.

Families will need to register for a new account with School Cafe. To create a new account, click the above link, select "Virginia" and type in "Roanoke City Public Schools." Continue to the next page and click "Create a New Account." Follow the instructions to complete account setup.

Once you create your account, you will be able to add your student. Please have your student's last name, school, and ID number ready to connect them to your account.

Account balances in MySchoolBucks have been transferred to School Cafe. 

Meals for Virtual Students
For information on meal pick up for students enrolled in virtual instruction click here.

Food Resources
For information on free meals and groceries and to apply for benefits, visit the Virginia Cooperative Extension office by clicking here.

P-EBT Information
Pandemic EBT benefits are issued by Virginia Department of Social Services. The federal P-EBT program will operate under new eligibility guidelines for the current school year and benefits will only be issued on a case-by-case basis to students who meet specific criteria, as defined by the United States Department of AgricultureClick here to learn more.

For help with P-EBT, visit the P-EBT web portal.

Call 1-866-281-2448, log on to, or download the ConnectEBT app on a mobile device.

If you have additional questions, please click here.

For additional assistance investigating RCPS student eligibility for
P-EBT please click form here.

Q:  What is the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)?

A:  The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) is a provision from the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 that allows school and local educational agencies (LEAs) with high poverty rates to provide free breakfast and lunch to all students.  CEP eliminates the burden of collecting household applications to determine eligibility for school meals, relying instead on information from other means-tested programs such as the Supplement Nutrition Assistance Program and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.  All RCPS schools participate in the Community Eligibility Provision.

Q: What if I have more questions?

A: Please call Food and Nutrition at (540) 853-2863.

Local School Wellness Policy
RCPS Wellness Policy can be viewed on the Division's Policy Handbook.  Please click here to view policy JHCF.

The triennial assessment of the Wellness Policy can be viewed here.

USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:
    [email protected]


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

      updated 6/24/2022                                        

40 Douglass Avenue NW, Roanoke, VA 24012 Phone 540-853-2502