|Parents can register their children for next year's kindergarten and first grade classes on March 11 and 12, 2010. Applications for pre-school (four-year-olds) will also be accepted at this time.
Registration is open to the following individuals:
• Children who will enter kindergarten and children currently enrolled in private kindergarten that will enter the public school system next year.
• Children who were eligible for kindergarten for 2009-2010 but were granted a waiver and will now enter school in September 2010.
• All children who will be five years old on or before September 30, 2010, are eligible for kindergarten.
• All children who will be four years old on or before September 30, 2010, are eligible to apply for the 4-year old preschool program. Preschool applications will be available at all elementary schools and on the Roanoke City Public Schools website at http://www.rcps.info. Click on Instructional Departments and then Early Childhood Education.
Parents of children entering school for the first time need the following information when registering:
• Immunization record.
• A state-issued certificate of birth (hospital record is not sufficient).
• A report of a physical examination for the child.
• There will be forms to complete at the school, including a Residency/Custody Verification Form.
• Proof of residency-
o Option A) copy of a mortgage, lease or real estate tax assessment indicating principal residency in the City of Roanoke,
o Option B) copies of two documents must be provided: a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) and a current utility bill (electric, gas, or water/sewer). Both need to list a Roanoke City address.
Parents should register at the elementary school the child will attend between the hours of 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. on March 11 or 12. Contact your local school for more information if needed.
Students who are presently attending kindergarten in Roanoke City Public Schools are not required to register to enter first grade.
Attendance zone information is available on our website at http://www.rcps.info or by calling 853-2816.